The preschool room has 15-17 3, 4, and 5 year-olds. This group is intentionally larger than our other groups to help the children navigate a broader community in preparation for kindergarten. The group size and the layout of the classroom allow the children to develop more independence and self-confidence.
The Preschool curriculum is:
- Responsive to children’s interests and developmental needs across all domains.
- Includes learning centers and projects that reflect these interests and needs.
- Based on developmentally appropriate materials and best practices.
- Implemented to make every child aware that they are an important part of the group.
The Preschool teachers:
- Promote a sense of self-worth in each child.
- Encourage self-reliance.
- Provide a variety of materials that children are interested in, and that they can succeed with and master.
- Be sensitive and patient with the needs of each child.
- Encourage children to continue to express themselves verbally and through a variety of media.
- Demonstrate problem solving and coach children to solve problems appropriately and independently.
The children will:
- Identify themselves as important people who are loved and who have an impact on their relationships and surroundings.
- Arrive at a realistic concept of their personal strengths and limitations.
- Make thoughtful choices based on respect for self and others.
- Recognize that all choices have consequences.
- Find pleasure in being with others.
- Further a sense of self-discipline.
- Further develop a sense of humor, to find humor and to make humor.
- Continue to develop social and academic kindergarten readiness skills.